Monday, June 15

Weekend Wrap & ENT Update

Phew! What a weekend! It's been insanely productive and retroactive all at once. Those following my Twitter feed know that last night, while working on a project for my Computer Literacy class, my hatred for Microsoft Office and all other things related to Microsoft was solidified. Seriously, I don't even know why they put me in there except to torture me.

I also started going through photographs from back in the day. So be on the lookout - photos from my teen years and specifically my Navy career will be popping up here and there. Ahh, the memories are so bittersweet. I miss it and yet I don't. But that's a whole other post.

In other news for the weekend, I purchased my plane tickets to Pennsylvania! I'm so thrilled - July isn't coming fast enough! Also purchased the tickets to the LFO show at the Crocodile Rock Cafe, which is also extremely excitement inducing! 37 days and I'll be in Pennsylvania and seeing LFO with my girl, Stacey!

The garden is... stagnant at the moment. Hoping to plant this afternoon. There's so much on the to do list, it's insane. Especially since I lost half the day to running to Reno for my follow up with the ENT to go over the results of the ENG. (Enough acronyms for you?)

So what's going on with that, anyway? Well, it's been diagnosed that I've got some damage going on with the nerve(s) in my left ear. It accounts for a lot of things - the dizzy spells, rushing sounds, spatial difficulties. (See? There's a medical reason behind me being a klutz. Don't you feel foolish.) There's nothing that can be done to reverse the damage, unfortunately. There is, however, therapy.

I'll be going in again soon to have a balance test done to accurately measure the difficulties that I do have and to see what exactly we're working with. Then, it's off to physical balance therapy in order to retrain my brain and body to cope with the lack of output from my left ear. Strengthening the other parts of my body that play into helping me spatially and with balance in order to make up for weaknesses elsewhere.

Should physical therapy not work or my condition worsens, there will be talks of MRIs and surgery, but I don't see see that happening. More like it's not going to - no one's cutting on my head, thank you very much.

I was initially discouraged at the doctor's diagnosis, specifically the part that there was no hope of reversing the damage. But I'm very grateful that there are options for treatment and that we are moving forward in the right direction. There is, indeed, light at the end of the tunnel.

3 comments:

  1. Cute picture!! I'm praying everything works out with the therapy for your ear. I wish we could go to the dr and they could just heal things right there that second. Hmm (wishing).

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for popping by my blog!!! I'm so sorry to hear of your ear problems. I really hope PT helps and you can avoid surgery! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you were quite a comely lass in that picture...it looks like the town's menfolk must have been entertained, given the sweet dollary-doos you have in your top...hehehehehe!

    ReplyDelete