Wednesday, December 24

Gingerbread House, Part 1

I'm really not sure what got into me. A few days ago, I got this wild and crazy idea that I was going to make a gingerbread house. Now, there are a lot of factors that come into play when considering this. Most of the work would have to be done during the day, and I've got two small ones who love grabbing things. Luckily, we do have gates in place to keep them out of the kitchen.

However, and quite possibly the more important factor, I've never done a gingerbread house on my own. In years past I've always had help. This year would be the most intimidating it's ever been, considering it would be all on me. I knew all the techniques and tricks I wanted to use, but I was more than a little concerned.

But when I thought about it, I realized it might not be that bad. I've got a definite proficiency in the kitchen, even though I'm nowhere near professional chef status, and I love baking. I'm also quite creative. (See how this was an ego boost for me?) Besides, in previous years there were disasters upon disasters that occurred in the kitchen, leaving all but one of the houses unfinished. Surely I could do better.

And so I set out to do just that. Given that in prior years either we never got around to applying the roof or planned a house without one (giving way to gum paste furniture and decorations), this year I decided come hell or high water, this one would have a roof. Here's what's turned out so far.


Later on today, I'll post a photo tutorial about how I did the windows. And then another when it's done being decorated. What? Of course it's not done. You know me. I like to go all out. Simplicity is all fine and dandy. Until it comes to a gingerbread house. Then, at least as long as you're not going to a competition, the object of the game is to apply as many seemingly extraneous pieces of candy to the components in order to achieve a sugar induced coma when you finally eat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment