Tuesday, August 4

Thankful Tuesdays

After yesterday's ordeals (and still dealing with the repercussions thereof) I thought it would be a good time to sit down and recount all my blessings. Because I am so very blessed, in spite of all the stress and in spite of all the bad news that seems to be rolling in, there are many things that I should be thankful for.

So today, I'll show you five things I'm grateful for. In words and photos.


I am so grateful for A-Girl. She is the first child. The experimental one, the one we've made errors with, the one we will continue to make errors with. The one who brought MarvMan and I back together, who taught me that late nights aren't always a bad thing and who continually teaches me about the true depths of unconditional love. She had her first gymnastics class last night, and I was reminded that time with my oldest truly is precious and slipping away faster than I would like. Even after all our worries about her social development, Anaya did wonderfully last night and is so excited to go again.


Sometimes it's hard to remember to be grateful for the youngest. I don't mean it as badly as it sounds - hear me out. BreMonster is nearing her second birthday, and with it has been the rumblings of the Terrible Twos. But the more I think about it, the more I can't look at it as "Terrible." It is a phase of development and it's occasionally heartbreaking to watch my baby girl grow into her own unique person, even when she's testing boundaries and thinking she's the queen of the house. (She's not, I am. I have the cape. I make the whoosh noises.) But her laughter and love and personality full of spark and life remind me that even as I'm ushering Anaya off into a more independent childhood, Breanne is still tiny enough to appreciate long stretches of snuggling on the couch with her tiny warm body as she makes commentary on the latest Sesame Street episode.


I'm always grateful for the dogs, but Washburn's been my favorite as of late. He can tell when I'm stressed out and upset, and the cold, wet nose on my arm isn't so much of a bother anymore as it is a comfort. I prefer the massive fur throw he becomes when he wraps around my feet at my desk, but I'll take what I can get. He's the first dog we've found that worked out for us and has quickly earned his place in the family numerous times since. He's my biggest furbaby and I'm so glad we have him.

What? Myself? I can't be grateful for myself? Well, this is a photo of me on the computer, listening to music. Ignore the massively oldschool headphones. But it was the best personal picture I could find to illustrate how grateful I am for music. It's had the power over the last day or so to bring me from a place of rage to a place of calm. I've cried and I've fallen asleep at my desk to music. It has been an ever-present force in my life since I was born, and I'm so grateful to have that appreciation to this day. (In heavy rotation lately: Regina Spektor's album "Far," Kiernan McMullan's "Perfect People are Boring," and Brandi Carlile's "The Story")


And last, but certainly not least, I am grateful for MarvMan. Any man who can weather through all these stresses and put up with my tendency toward distraction and all the health issues that have cropped up with as level a head as MarvMan has faced all of this deserves so major credit. Despite my tendency to fly off the handle, MarvMan has been there for me and has been a force of calm and rational thinking in my life when my whimsical self is occasionally prone to worst case scenario thinking. And I love him dearly for that.

What are you thankful for?

1 comment:

  1. What a great post. I try to do this every night when I pray. I try to think of the wonderful blessings I do have. It's a great reminder of how much we really do have in our lives. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete